Over the past several days a massive CyberSecurity attack has unfolded targeting businesses across the world. We wanted to take a moment and share how we are protecting our clients from this ransomware, as well as provide useful resources to those concerned that their computer systems may be exposed.
YourIT employs a multi-layer approach to security to ensure there's no single point of failure. This approach protected EVERY SINGLE ONE OF OUR MANGED clients.
- Microsoft patched the vulnerability in March, which we then promptly deployed to all computers we manage. This single software update alone prevented most infections.
- Our UTM Firewall devices had already been updated to protect against this type of exploit, and prevented the download of the virus.
- Content filtering at the desktop level was quickly updated to stop access to known infected websites.
- Our managed antivirus was also quickly updated to monitor for the threat (and soon to follow variations).
- In the unlikely event the infection manages to sneak past the first several layers, we perform full-system back-ups. These backups allow us to restore the ENTIRE server or workstation to it's pre-infection state.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO
- If you are not on a management plan, and particular if you are running an unsupported version of Windows (XP, Server 2003, 8) you are highly susceptible to infection. You need to ensure you have the latest patches and emergency updates available from Microsoft.
- You need to ensure you are backing up your systems. The ONLY way to recover from a ransomware attack is by paying, or restoring from a backup.
- You need to use reputable, business-class antivirus software.
These types of threats are only going to increase. if you'd like to discuss how we can help your organization be prepared to prevent and remediate these risks, contact us today.